Megan Wiebe from Defined Wellness shares a great recipe for those of you looking for a new twist on chicken.
This recipe is a bit involved, but it’s good. I get tired of always eating the same old chicken so it’s nice to spice things up a bit with different flavors. The recipe is from Napoleon’s Everyday Gourmet Grilling – I like it because there are lots of pictures (very important in a cookbook), recipes for rubs and marinades, and of course all kinds of meat recipes and tips on cooking meat. There’s even some interesting salad recipes – like “Thai Chile and Lime Slaw” – which are almost 100% Paleo.
Ingredients for the Tandoori seasoning and rub:
- 1/4 cup cumin
- 3 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg (I used regular dried nutmeg)
- 1 tsp ground mace (I couldn’t find this at the store so left it out)
Mix everything together and store for up to 3 months.
Ingredients for Grilled Citrus Chicken Breasts:
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp tandoori seasoning and rub
- grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp peeled and finely chopped ginger
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1) Rub the chicken with the tandoori seasoning and massage well into the meat.
2) In a glass (or other nonreactive dish) whisk together lemon, orange and lime zest and juice, garlic, jalapeno, ginger and cilantro.
3) Add chicken breasts to marinade. Cover and refrigerate 4-6 hours – no longer.
5) Remove chicken from marinade and season with salt. Grill chicken 5-6 minutes per side or until golden brown and fully cooked.